Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Get back to sharpening your oyster knife!

I have to blog about this oh-so-philosophical moment.

So this morning, I woke up and thought, "I should blog...although I don't really have time...but I should...oh what the heck...wait, do I have time? Grr, why am I too busy to blog??" (Yes, these are the types of daily conundrums and internal dialogues that plague me, apparently.)

Remember last week when Slate came out with that hilarious little piece that provided probably too much insight into the minds and lives of the googlers who are doing the googling in the world?

So I decided to turn to the All-Knowing Google bar, hoping like heck it'd give me all the answers I needed in life.

I typed, "I am too busy" and was totally surprised and confused at what popped up:



Weird, I thought. So I visited the Google suggested links.

Turns out this line is from a quote by Zora Neale Hurston in “How It Feels to Be Colored Me”, in The World Tomorrow (May 1928). The full quote reads:

I do not weep at the world -- I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.

Hm. I think I might like that. And so it basically means, in that context, she still sees that the world is her oyster, the world is full of opportunity and is totally at her disposal, regardless of her skin color and how it has the potential of keeping her from accomplishing things, from getting to that precious pearl, that fortune and success that awaits her.

But I think what Google is trying to suggest to me is that the world is my oyster, so I better get back to sharpening my knife. (aka I better get back to work, stop complaining about how busy I am--everyone is busy--and stop asking the Google for help, because the Google is busy sharpening his oyster knife too, you know, and he can't be bothered much longer with my Google-Suggest games.)

No comments: